church

Annan Old Parish

Church of Scotland

 
 

History

A brief History of Annan, Annan Old Parish Church and its Ministers.

annan

AD 573 – St Mungo passes through Annandale

AD 686 – Abbot Adamnan of Iona at Annan Waterfoot

AD 1148 – St Malachi, Bishop of Clairvaux, visits Bruce at Annan.

AD 1171 – Church of Annan built by Robert Bruce near the site of the Town Hall.

AD 1187 – William, Dean of the Valley of Annan, witnesses the charter.

AD 1196 – Incumbent of Annan Ministers in plague.

AD 1223 – Church transferred to See of Glasgow from Gwsborough.

AD 1265 – Stipend increased by forty shillings, Robert the rector collects a hundred shillings.

AD 1213 – Rector established in Annan by the Dean of Glasgow, succeeding Robert the Rector.

AD 1327 – Robert, Rector of Annan.

AD 1335 – Walter, Rector of Annan, translated to Dronnok (Dornock)

AD 1474 – Gilbert Maxwell, Rector of Annan.

AD 1487 – William Turnbull, Rector of Annan.

AD 1510 – Sir Adam Turnbull, Rector of Annan.

AD 1535 – John Tumour, Rector of Annan.

AD 1538 – In recognition of the towns loyalty a Charter was granted to Annan by King James V.

AD 1560 – The reformation. The Scottish church breaks its ties with Rome.

AD 1597 – David Miller

AD 1605 – James French MA

AD 1607 – Simon Johnstone MA

AD 1609 – Church built behind site of Town Hall

AD 1612 – The town’s Royal Burgh status was reaffirmed by King James VI

AD 1660 – Wilaim Bailhie MA

AD 1664 – Patrick Inglis

AD 1687 – James Kinnear MA

AD 1696 – Robert Colville MA

AD 1703 – Thomas Howie

AD 1754 – William Moncreiff

AD 1783 – William Hardie Moncreiff

AD 1789 – The present church is built

AD 1825 – James Monilaws

AD 1871 – James Alexander Crichton MA (1893 DD)

AD 1909 – Rev Neil McCaig MA, BD

AD 1950 – Rev G.L.Heatley, MA, BD

AD 1974 – Rev W.B.Ferguson, BA, BD

AD 1987 – Rev A. Frater, BA, BD

AD 1995 –  Rev S.D.Rogerson, BSc, BD

AD 1997 –  Rev D.J.Macpherson, BSc, BD

AD 2004 – Rev H.D. Steele, L.Th.Dip,Min.

To be continued…